In Germany, meatloaf is traditionally prepared with hard cooked eggs in the middle. This creates a loaf slice with an eye appealing presentation, offering color and contrast as well as a comfort food that everyone will enjoy.
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 lbBread Crumbs
- 6 oz Tomato Ketchup
- 3 ea uncooked Eggs
- 1 cup Basil and Oregano Leave Blend
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Hardboil 4 or 5 eggs, depending on size.
- Cool eggs, peel and set aside.
- Combine Beef, Pork, Bread Crumbs, Raw Egg and ketchup in a large bowl and thoroughly blend them together.
- On a cutting board or countertop, lay your meatloaf mixture out and press into a square shape about 1 inch thick.
- Place the hard cooked eggs ‘end to end’ across your meatloaf.
- Fold one side of the meatloaf over the top of the eggs, and continue to “roll” the meatloaf into shape.
- Tuck in the ends of your formed meatloaf so that none of the hard boiled egg is exposed.
- Place your loaf into a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes and check with thermometer.
- Meatloaf’s internal temp should be 155°.
- Remove from oven and allow to ‘stand’ for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve this dish with egg noodles and mushroom gravy & biscuits. Some recipes include prisciutto layered in with the eggs.