Plan Your Portions. When considering the amounts of food you’ll need for your event, think about the guests that are attending. A group of construction workers will eat much more than ladies attending a baby or bridal shower.
At A Glance. These are ‘median estimates’ for portion planning.
- Apps. before a meal 2-3 pieces per person per hour
- Apps. as a meal 5-6 pieces per person per hour
- Chilled Salads 4 ounces per person
- Hot Side Dishes 3-4 ounces per person
- Pasta as an entrée 6-8 ounces per person
- Pasta as a side dish 3-4 ounces per person
- Luncheon Portion 4-6 ounces per person
- Dinner Portion 6-8 ounces per person
- Dessert 3-4 ounces per person
- Rolls/Bread 2 per person
- Coffee/1 pound Serves 50 one-cup servings
- Punch/1 gallon Serves 32 4-ounce servings
- Soda/2 liter Serves 11 6-ounce glasses
- Serves 10 8-ounce glasses